Imagine a place of stunning mountains and lakes – that’s Lake Tahoe. It’s a spot for fun and relaxation for all year round activities. But how do you get there easily? Well, we’re here to help! In this article, we’ll guide you through the closest airport to Lake Tahoe. Regardless of the activity you want to indulge in, knowing the closest airport will make your journey smoother and a lot more trouble-free. So, let’s explore the nearest airport to Lake Tahoe and make your trip to Lake Tahoe even more exciting!”
5+1 Closest airports to Lake Tahoe – Out and About
Surrounded by beautiful and huge mountains, Lake Tahoe is an amazing place to visit. If you want to go there, here are the six nearest airports to help you get there instantly. You’ll be able to enjoy the clear blue waters and have lots of fun outdoors.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport — 44 min (34.5 mi)
The Closest Airport to Lake Tahoe is Reno-Tahoe International Airport, located at least 34 miles from Lake Tahoe. The airport’s close proximity to Lake Tahoe means that travellers have a relatively short drive to reach the lake. This is especially advantageous for those looking to minimise travel time and quickly immerse themselves in the beauty of the area.
- Amenities and Services: The airport itself provides a range of amenities, from dining and shopping options to rental car facilities. This can add to the overall convenience and comfort of travellers’ journeys.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: The walkway connecting the terminals is located post-security, meaning you’ll need to go through the security checkpoint before accessing it. The walk is relatively short, allowing you to easily move between the terminals. In addition to this, Reno-Tahoe offers shuttle services for passengers as well.
- Airlines and Terminals: Reno-Tahoe International Airport is well-connected to major cities across the United States. This means that visitors have a range of flight options and can choose from a variety of airlines.
|Airlines||Terminals Used at Reno-Tahoe Airport|
|Alaska Airlines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Allegiant Air RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Delta Air Lines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Jetblue RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Southwest Airlines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Spirit Airlines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Sun Country Airlines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|United Airlines RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
|Volaris RNO Terminal||Main Terminal|
Sacramento International Airport — 2 hr. 7 min (123.5 mi)
The second nearest Airport to Lake Tahoe is Sacramento International Airport. It is located about 123 miles from the North Shore of Lake Tahoe. While the drive is longer compared to Reno, it still offers access to the beautiful Lake Tahoe. It’s a convenient option for visitors moving from the North side of this destination.
- Amenities and Services: Sacramento International Airport offers a variety of amenities including dining, shopping, and lounges. If you have a layover or are waiting for a shuttle, you can make the most of your time by exploring these facilities.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: The terminals are within walking distance and there are pedestrian walkways and pathways that connect them. The walk between terminals is generally short and convenient. There are courtesy shuttle services to take passengers from the terminals to other points within the airport.
- Airlines and Terminals: SMF offers a wide range of flight options and connections, making it a convenient choice for travellers coming from various locations. The airport serves as a hub for multiple airlines.
|Airlines||Terminals used at Sacramento Airport|
|Aeroméxico SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
|Air Canada SMF Terminal||Terminal A|
|Alaska Airlines SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
|Delta Air Lines SMF Terminal||Terminal A|
|Frontier Airlines SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
|Hawaiian Airlines SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
|Jetblue SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
|Southwest Airlines SMF Terminal||Terminal B|
Mammoth Yosemite Airport — 2 hr. 46 min (141.2 mi)
Mammoth Yosemite Airport (MMH) is the third Closest Airport to Lake Tahoe and serves as a convenient gateway for travellers looking to explore the Mammoth Lakes area and Yosemite National Park along with Lake Tahoe. The airport is relatively small, offering a more intimate travel experience compared to larger airports.
- Amenities and Services: Mammoth Yosemite Airport may not have as extensive amenities as larger airports, but it still provides essential services to enhance the travel experience such as, parking facilities for both short-term and long-term stays, information desks and basic facilities for passenger comfort, Vending machines and small concessions available for refreshments.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: Given the airport’s size, inter-terminal transport isn’t typically required. The terminal building itself is small enough that passengers can easily access all areas on foot.
- Airlines and Terminals: The airport hosts regional airlines that provide connections to destinations within California and nearby areas. The airport consists of a single terminal building where both arrivals and departures are handled.
|Airlines||Terminals used at Mammoth Airport|
|Advanced Air MMH Terminal||Main Terminal|
Oakland International Airport — 3 hr. 39 min (197.3 mi)
Oakland International Airport (OAK) is the third Closest international Airport to Lake Tahoe and a major airport serving the San Francisco Bay Area and the surrounding regions. As a hub for domestic and international flights, it offers a wide range of services, amenities, and transportation options to make the overall procedure instant and hassle-free for the visitors.
- Amenities and Services: OAK provides a comprehensive set of amenities to ensure a comfortable travel experience; The airport boasts a variety of dining options ranging from fast food to sit-down restaurants, lounges for passengers who want to relax or work in a quieter environment, Complimentary Wi-Fi, Currency Exchange and Banking, Parking options, etc.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: Oakland International Airport consists of two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, both of which are connected by the AirBART shuttle service. The AirBART shuttle provides free transportation between Terminal 1, Terminal 2, and the Bay Area Rapid Transit station, allowing passengers to easily access public transportation.
- Airlines and Terminals: Major domestic and international airlines operate at OAK, providing connections to various destinations.
|Airlines||Terminals used at Oakland Airport|
|Alaska Airlines OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Allegiant Air OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Contour Airlines OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Delta Air Lines OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Hawaiian Airlines OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|JSX OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Southwest Airlines OAK Terminal||Terminal 2|
|Spirit Airlines OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Volaris OAK Terminal||Terminal 1|
San Francisco International Airport — 3 hr. 49 min (204.2 mi)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is one of the nearest airports to Lake Tahoe, serving the San Francisco Bay Area and the surrounding region. With its extensive amenities, inter-terminal transport options, proximity to Lake Tahoe and a variety of airlines, SFO offers an impeccable travel experience to the visitors.
- Amenities and Services: SFO provides a wide range of amenities and services to enhance travellers’ comfort and convenience: The airport offers a diverse selection of restaurants, cafes, and shops, providing everything from quick bites to dining and unique retail options. SFO features lounges for various airlines and priority pass holders. And, an impressive collection of art and cultural exhibits.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: SFO has multiple terminals that are connected by the AirTrain. The AirTrain connects all terminals, garages, and other locations within the airport. It’s a free and efficient way to navigate between terminals.
- Airlines and Terminals: SFO is a hub for both domestic and international flights, offering a wide array of airlines. Major airlines from around the world operate at SFO, providing connections to various destinations.
|Airlines||Terminals used at San Francisco Airport|
|Aer Lingus SFO Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Aeroméxico SFO Terminal||Terminal 1 & 2|
|Air Canada SFO Terminal||Terminal 2|
|Air France SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Air New Zealand SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Breeze Airways SFO Terminal||Terminal 2|
|British Airways SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Copa Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Emirates SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|EVA Air SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Frontier Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Japan Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal A|
|Lufthansa SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Philippine Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Qatar Airways SFO Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Singapore Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|United Airlines SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Virgin Atlantic SFO Terminal||International Terminal|
|Westjet SFO Terminal||Terminal 1|
Fresno Yosemite International Airport — 4 hr. 54 min (277.8 mi)
Last but not least, the last closest Airport to south Lake Tahoe is Fresno Yosemite International Airport, which provides connections to various destinations. While it’s a smaller airport compared to some major hubs, it still offers a range of services to the passengers.
- Amenities and Services: FAT offers essential amenities to ensure a comfortable travel experience. The airport has dining options, including cafes and restaurants, where you can grab a meal or snack before your flight. Wi-Fi is available for passengers to stay connected, and there are lounges for passengers to relax.
- Inter-Terminal Transport: Fresno Yosemite International Airport is relatively compact, and moving between terminals is straightforward. The terminals are within walking distance, making it easy for passengers to navigate between them.
- Airlines and Terminals: Regional and domestic airlines operate at FAT, connecting passengers to different destinations.
|Airlines||Terminals used at Fresno Airport|
|Aeroméxico FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Alaska Airlines FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Allegiant Air FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Delta Air Lines FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Southwest Airlines FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|United Airlines FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
|Volaris FAT Terminal||Terminal 1|
Ground Transportation To and From the Nearest Airports to Lake Tahoe
Ground transportation options to and from the nearest airports to Lake Tahoe vary depending upon your preferences. Here are some of the available options:
- Shuttles: Numerous shuttle services operate between Reno-Tahoe Airport and various destinations around Lake Tahoe.
- Car Rentals: Rental car agencies are available at the airport, providing the flexibility to drive to Lake Tahoe at your own pace.
- Ride-Sharing Services: Ride-sharing platforms like Uber and Lyft are accessible for transportation to Lake Tahoe.
- Buses: Regional bus services connect the airport to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore, providing options for travellers.
Exploring Lake Tahoe’s Best Spots and Locations: Must-Visit Places
Here are five must-visit places to explore around Lake Tahoe:
- Sand Harbor
- Tahoe Rim Trail
- Emerald Bay State Park
- Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows
Accommodations Near Lake Tahoe’s Nearest Airports
Here are five accommodations near Lake Tahoe’s nearest airports:
- Hilton Garden Inn Clovis
- Hyatt Regency Sacramento
- Oakland Marriott City Center
- Peppermill Resort Spa Casino
- The Westin San Francisco Airport
Highlights of the Content
With airports such as Reno-Tahoe International Airport, Sacramento International Airport, Oakland International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, and Fresno Yosemite International Airport serving as gateways, embarking on your Lake Tahoe journey has never been easier. So, whether you’re arriving from near or far, get ready to immerse yourself in the opportunities that Lake Tahoe has to offer. Your adventure awaits.
Frequently Asked Questions Closest Airport to Lake Tahoe?
Reno-Tahoe International Airport is the closest airport to Lake Tahoe.
Sacramento International Airport is the second nearest airport to Lake Tahoe.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport and Sacramento International Airport are the two closest airports to Lake Tahoe.
Yes, there are several airports near Lake Tahoe.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport is the closest airport to south Lake Tahoe.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport is the closest to Lake Tahoe.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport is the closest airport to Lake Tahoe.